Pages

Monday 12 September 2011

Lavender and Larvae

I've washed all my summer clothes and sealed them away in plastic bags. It's not that I like the smell of plastic, you will understand, but I care even less for the sight of moth holes.

I drew back the curtains this morning, disturbing the sweetest little moth you ever saw. I flicked my feather duster like a prestidigitateur flicks his wand and the darling disappear. Despite hunting up and down the walls the darng critter had made for the hills.

Now if I say that all the curtains in our house are made of linen, cottons and  silks, I don't mean to sound like a mercer from Cloth Hall, but natural fibres, which contain keratin are beloved by moths. Wool and cashmeres are particularly susceptible to moth larvae.

A friend lost a few hundred pounds worth of coats and jumpers to moths and their larvae, who are the real villains.  Keratin is a substance found on natural fibres and this is what attracts the creatures. It's best to wash all clothes or dry clean heavy items before storing them.

I have a long flexible brush for hard-to-get-behind radiators, and use a vacuum cleaner nozzle attachment to hunt out wee beasties who may be lurking in the corners of rooms.

The problem is central heating and airless houses encourage moths. If you don't like a chemical cosh, do as I did and get some lavender bags. I don't know if they've done the trick but the place sure smells nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment